Is your MacBook Pro camera grainy? Are you having issues with the brightness of your Mac camera? We use the camera in our MacBooks nearly every day for making work or social calls. But if you have a grainy camera, it can be frustrating.
According to Apple, your MacBook Pro camera can look grainy in low-light environments. For example, your Mac camera would look grainy if there are any smudges or fingerprints on the camera. So make sure to clean it and use your MacBook camera in bright light.
Not sure about the best ways to fix your Mac camera? Read on to find out how to fix the grainy camera on a MacBook and how to brighten your Mac camera.
How Do You Fix the Grainy Camera on a MacBook?
Clean the camera to wipe off dust. Next, restart all of the apps that may be experiencing camera issues. Next, allow the camera permissions on the app you want to use. Next, run a diagnostics check on the device. Finally, update the software to ensure you are using the latest iOS.
According to Apple, there are several things you should be doing before you take a grainy camera to a professional to assess. First, make sure that your MacBook display brightness is at the right setting. If it is, read on to find out five quick fixes to a grainy MacBook camera.
There are five main things to check before seeking advice from a professional for the grainy camera on your MacBook:
- Ensure that the camera has been cleaned: You can do this using a cloth to wipe away any dirt and grime which may have built up.
- Restart the apps experiencing issues with your camera: To do this, click on the Apple Logo > Force Quit. It will open up a list of applications. Scroll down until you see the application that is causing issues. Click on it and select Force Quit again to restart the app.
- Check Camera Permissions: Click on the Apple logo > System Preferences > Security and Privacy. This button will open up a list of applications. If the application you are using is not checked, it is impossible to run correctly. Go ahead and review the application.
- Check the Diagnostics: To run a diagnosis, go to Spotlight Search and search for Activity Monitor. Next, click on the three dots at the top of your screen and scroll down to System Diagnosis. It will ask you to enter your password. Enter your password and allow permission. Next, click on the Apple Logo and restart your device. Your camera should be working fine now.
- Update the Software: Click on the Apple Logo > About this Mac. Select Software Update and then click on Update Now.
Is your camera still grainy? If so, it must be a hardware issue that cannot be fixed on your device. Instead, you should take the device to a professional or an Apple Genius, or take a look at these lighting and positional tips to make your Mac’s camera look better.
If your MacBook isn’t working like it used to, the battery is likely the issue, read more in my article on if it’s worth replacing a MacBook battery.
How Do I Brighten My Mac Camera?
According to Apple, you can easily adjust the brightness of your camera either automatically or manually by adjusting the brightness of your screen using the Display Settings on your MacBook. Some free tools can be downloaded and installed if you still have issues.
Read on to find out how to adjust the brightness of your MacBook camera manually and automatically.
- To update the brightness of your Mac camera automatically, click on the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Display. To adjust the camera brightness automatically, select Automatically Adjust Brightness. If you do not see this tick box, you can manually adjust the brightness.
- To update the brightness of your Mac camera manually, click on the Apple Logo > System Preferences > Display. A slider should appear to adjust the brightness. There may also be a contrast slider to change the contrast settings.
The reality is, even with my M1 MacBook 720p camera, the quality is still a bit grainy a fantastic solution is investing in a high-quality webcam whose picture will still look amazing no matter how bad your webcam is. Take your pick from the fantastic options on Amazon.