If you have an iPhone and wonder how the Apple ID system works, this guide is for you. In this article, I will discuss whether an iPhone can have two Apple IDs, how you can add another Apple ID to your iPhone, how many Apple IDs you can use at once on an iPhone, and how it all works.
Can One iPhone Have Two Apple IDs?
You can have two Apple ID’s assigned to two different services such as one Apple ID for iCloud and another for the App store. You can have previous purchases authorized to old Apple IDs, which may prompt you to sign in to an old Apple ID or someone else’s. Multiple Apple IDs are used for different purposes, such as managing your contacts, notes, etc.
Not many people are aware of this but you can actually use more than one Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. You can use different Apple IDs for different purposes. For instance, you may have a personal Apple ID and a business Apple ID that you may want to use for different purposes. I use a different Apple ID for all my App Store purchases and a different one for iCloud.
However, you cannot use two different Apple IDs for iCloud. You can use different Apple IDs for different Apple services such as App Store, Apple Music, iTunes Store, Messages, GameCentre, and more.
Wondering how to add another Apple ID to your iPhone? Read on to find out
Not sure when you should replace your iPhone? Learn the 7 clear signs you need another iPhone in my detailed article.
How Do I Add Another Apple ID To My iPhone?
- Launch Settings.
- Scroll down and select one of the following: Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, or Reminders.
- Tap Accounts.
- Tap Add Account.
- Select iCloud.
- Type in your Apple ID email, then tap Next.
- Type in your password, then tap Next.
Alternatively, you can also sign out of your current Apple ID and sign back in with a different one. Signing out and then signing back into your iPhone with a different ID requires two steps. First, you sign out of your Apple ID on your iPhone and then sign in with a different ID from Settings. There are two steps involved in adding another Apple ID to your iPhone:
Step 1: Sign Out Of Your Apple ID From Your iPhone
- Go to Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap the Apple ID Name and Photo option at the top.
- Scroll down and tap on the Sign Out option.
- If you are only using one account for iCloud and App Store, you will be required to enter your Apple ID password. If you are using multiple accounts, you will be prompted to choose from the following three options:
- Sign Out of iCloud and App Store
- Sign Out of iCloud
- Sign Out of App Store
- Select which data from iCloud you want to keep on your iPhone and delete the rest.
- Tap Sign Out one more time to sign out of the Apple ID from your iPhone.
Step 2: Sign In With A Different Apple ID On iPhone
Now that you have signed out of your first Apple ID from your iPhone, it’s time to learn how to sign in with a different Apple ID:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on the Sign in to your iPhone option at the top.
- Sign in using your other Apple ID’s credentials.
- If you already have data on your iPhone including Contacts, Calendars, Passwords, etc. you will be prompted to Merge the data with this Apple ID. Select whether or not you want to merge the data.
Do you know using a bad third-party charger can damage your iPhone? Discover what cables you can and cannot use to charge your iPhone in my article.
Why Do I Have 2 Apple IDs On My iPhone?
The main Apple ID is used for iCloud, iMessage, etc that usually has two-factor authentication enabled on it. The second Apple ID is the ‘store ID which is used for iTunes and the Apple Store.
iPhones have the option to add multiple Apple IDs. For instance, you may be signed in with your main Apple ID and use it for iCloud and sign in with another one on your iPhone for App Store purchases.
If you don’t want two Apple IDs on your iPhone, you can remove the secondary one by going to Settings and then tap on the Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases option on top. Now tap on Media & Purchases and Sign Out.
If you often use your iPhone while it’s charging, it can damage your iPhone’s battery. I suggest you read my article explaining how safe using an iPhone while it’s charging is for the battery.
How Many Apple IDs Can You Use On An iPhone?
You can create up to 3 different Apple ids on 1 device, you can manage these ids by going to Settings > Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases. If you have an iPhone, iPad, and a Mac you can make up to 9 different apple ID’s
You will find options to manage both iCloud and Media & Purchases. However, you cannot use two different accounts for iCloud simultaneously. That’s not how it works. You can only use two different IDs for iCloud and App Store.
If you’re looking to upgrade to a newer iPhone, have you considered any benefits of buying Apple products at an Apple store instead of ordering online? I recommend reading my guide explaining the potential benefits.