If you accidentally put super glue on your MacBook Pro, relax. You can fix that.
When using powerful adhesives such as super glue, it’s important to understand that it’s not easy to wipe off certain surfaces like wood, plastic, metal, or glass. Been there, done that, so I have some proven tips for you to get rid of that pesky glue from your Mac.
To remove super glue, you can use a mixture of mild detergent and water or buy a super glue remover to avoid causing irreparable damage to your MacBook.
Before you do anything to the super-dried glue on your MacBook Pro, make sure to avoid using strong solvents that can damage the coating and finish of your laptop. There are more tips I want to share with you, so keep reading.
How Do You Get Dried Super Glue off a Laptop?
- Add a small amount of acetone-based nail polish remover to a clean cloth.
- Apply to the surface of the laptop. Wait 10 minutes to see if the acetone is too harsh for the computer. If it’s not, reapply acetone to the cloth and dab the liquid onto the super-dried glue.
- Gently scrub any residue with a soft-bristle toothbrush, adding more acetone as needed. Make sure to proceed slowly not to damage the laptop’s metal.
- Once the stain is gone, dampen a clean cloth with water, and dab the area to remove any remaining acetone. Finally, use a clean cloth to dry.
Cyanoacrylate glue, more commonly known as super glue, is a powerful adhesive that instantly bonds with various surfaces and materials. Compared to other adhesives, super glue doesn’t need any treatments to bond to plastic, leather, ceramic, metal, wood, or other materials.
However, the easier it is to use on any materials, the harder it is to remove when super glue bonds to an unwanted surface like your MacBook Pro. The good news is that it’s possible to remove dried glue using a super glue remover which you can buy for a steal on Amazon.
If you’re planning to refurbish an old MacBook, read my article about refurbishing a Macbook to know whether it’s worth it or just a waste of time.
Does Toothpaste Remove Super Glue?
Toothpaste does remove super glue, but avoid gels and stick to toothpaste with baking soda. Instead, apply the toothpaste to the superglue and wipe it away. It’s a safe way to remove glue for most materials, and you can use it for various stains around your home.
It’s important to avoid using acetone to remove super glue from your Mac since there are other safer options available. Aside from toothpaste, you can also make your paste at home to effectively soften the glue and get rid of it. And guess what, you only need two ingredients that are easily found in your kitchen.
When I unintentionally touched my iPad‘s screen while holding a tube of superglue, I was able to remove it without using acetone. Instead, I mixed olive oil and baking soda to create a paste and covered the dried glue on my iPad.
After 5 minutes, I gently rubbed the paste against the screen and peeled the super glue off. I added some more paste to the area until all the residue was gone. I wiped it off with a damp cloth to completely remove the stain.
If you need to remove nail polish from your Mac, read my article about getting nail polish off MacBook and a step-by-step guide.
What Will Dissolve Super Glue?
To dissolve super glue, you can blot it with rubbing alcohol or acetone-based nail polish remover to break down the bond. Once the adhesive bond has softened, wipe off the residue with a clean damp cloth. Then, as the glue breaks down, apply a pre-treatment remover and let it dissolve.
Another solution to dissolve super glue is vinegar. Soak a piece of vinegar and dab the soaked cloth repeatedly to saturate the super-dried glue. Let the glue soak in, then clean it off using an old towel or rag. You can also use this method to remove hardened glue from plastic surfaces.
If you want to break down super glue faster, follow these instructions:
- Soak a cloth or cotton ball in acetone-based nail polish remover.
- Apply the acetone-soaked cloth or cotton ball to the dried glue and saturate the glued area completely.
- Keep the cloth or cotton ball in that area until the hardened glue softens. Repeat the process as needed.
- With water, soap, or mild detergent, wash off any residue or nail polish remover from the surface.
If there are some bald spots after removing super glue from your laptop, read my article about repainting a MacBook to get some helpful tips.
How Do You Remove Super Glue From a Device?
- Apply the adhesive remover to the glued area. The brush with the remover is the best tool to use as it ensures the solution doesn’t run into sensitive parts of the device.
- Scrub it with a sponge to soften the dried glue and break down chemical bonds.
- Clean off the chemicals with the sponge without affecting the device’s screen, keypad, or any electronics.
- Spray some window cleaner on the screen to release the chemicals from the glue. It may fog up the screen for a while, but it will eventually clear up once you wipe it with a clean cloth.
- Dry the device thoroughly using a paper towel or cloth.
In general, removing super glue from a device depends on the material, such as plastic, glass, or metal. Using a product formulated to disintegrate adhesive bonds is the best solution.
Super glue removers are available in hardware stores and online shops like Amazon, which you can buy for a bargain here.
Hardened glue removers are no solvents, so they are safe for your devices, including iPads and mobile phones. These special removers help ensure that removing super glue from your device won’t damage it. Here’s how you do it:
Got a damaged Mac? Read my article about trading in a damaged MacBook to know if Apple allows it or not.